Rain At Start Of Second B-Main Postpones Lernerville Speedway’s ‘Showdown in Sarvertown’ Until Thurs., June 25
By Kevin Kovac, WoO LMS P.R. Director
SARVER, PA – May 5, 2009 – Mother Nature defeated the ‘Showdown in Sarvertown’ on Tuesday night, dumping rain on Lernerville Speedway that forced track and World of Outlaws Late Model Series officials to postpone the second B-Main and 50-lap headline event until Thurs., June 25.
Some good will come from the disappointing weather, however. The remainder of Tuesday night’s program will now serve as a lead-in to the third annual Firecracker 100 on June 26-27 at Lernerville, adding more excitement to an action-packed weekend that culminates with the $30,000-to-win 100-lapper.
A field of 40 cars was signed in for Tuesday’s show. Morning forecasts calling for dry evening weather seemed to indicate that the event would be unaffected by precipitation, but a slight chance of evening showers was added to the outlook later in the day and ultimately arrived to doom the program.
Drizzle began falling during heat-race competition and intensified as the second B-Main came to the green flag. After rain fell steadily for more than an hour and an expanding batch of drizzle across western Pennsylvania made the possibility of a rapid track surface reconditioning impossible, officials decided to reschedule the remainder of the program to June 25.
Before the postponement announcement, a blazing-fast four-tenths-mile provided plenty of heat-race action. Winners of the 10-lap preliminaries included Jason Covert of York Haven, Pa., who outgunned fast-timer Darrell Lanigan of Union, Ky., for the lead; Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky., who built up the night’s largest victory margin; 17-year-old Austin Hubbard of Seaford, Del., who outdueled Chub Frank of Bear Lake, Pa.; and Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va.
Lanigan, who earned a $50 bonus for registering his second WoO LMS fast time award of 2009 after turning a lap of 15.272 seconds in Ohlins Shocks Time Trials, picked the pole position for the 50-lap ‘Showdown in Sarvertown’ in a draw that included the top-two finishers of each heat. Frank will start from the outside pole on June 25.
Lernerville regular Alex Ferree of Saxonburg, Pa., won the first 12-lap B-Main. The second B-Main was red-flagged before a full lap was completed.
All rainchecks and pit bands from Tuesday night’s ‘Showdown in Sarvertown’ will be accepted for entry on Thurs., June 25.
The WoO LMS will be off this weekend before returning to action to contest a doubleheader in the Midwest on May 16 at Lawrenceburg (Ind.) Speedway and May 17 at Lincoln (Ill.) Speedway.
For more information on the WoO LMS, visit www.worldofoutlaws.com.
Ohlins Shocks Time Trial Results (Position/No./Driver/Hometown/Best Lap):
1. 29-Darrell Lanigan/Union, KY 15.272
2. 19-Steve Francis/Ashland, KY15.273
3. 11-Austin Hubbard/Seaford, DE 15.333
4. 46-Doug Horton/Bruceton Mills, WV 15.345
5. 25-Shane Clanton/Locust Grove, GA 15.421
6. 30-Steve Shaver/Vienna, WV 15.425
7. 1*-Chub Frank/Bear Lake, PA 15.467
8. 1-Josh Richards/Shinnston, WV 15.496
9. 43A-Jason Covert/York Haven, PA 15.524
10. 24-Rick Eckert/York, PA 15.525
11. 22G-Gregg Satterlee/Rochester Mills, PA 15.534
12. 19T-Tim Fuller/Watertown, PA 15.567
13. 21L-Matt Lux/Franklin, PA 15.570
14. 44-Clint Smith/Senoia, PA 15.575
15. 17J-Davey Johnson/Latrobe, PA 15.579
16. 56-Russell King/Bristolville, OH 15.592
17. 99b-Rick Briggs/Bear Lake, PA 15.603
18. 3R-Brent Robinson/Smithfield, VA 15.606
19. 2b-Brady Smith/Solon Springs, WI 15.639
20. 32c-Vic Coffey/Caledonia, NY 15.658
21. 11-Tyler Reddick/Corning, CA 15.694
22. 4-Alex Ferree/Saxonburg, PA 15.722
23. 18-Shannon Babb/Moweaqua, IL 15.752
24. 44H-Dave Hess Jr./Waterford, PA 15.768
25. 18H-Dustin Hapka/Grand Forks, ND 15.804
26. B22-Bump Hedman/Sugar Grove, PA 15.831
27. H1-Jared Miley/South Park, PA 15.849
28. 1c-Lynn Geisler/Cranberry Twp., PA 15.886
29. 12b-Jordan Bland/Campbellsville, KY 15.979
30. J4-John Garvin Jr./Sarver, PA 16.017
31. 2J-Mike Johnson/Imperial, PA 16.057
32. 10-Gary Lyle/Hyde Park, PA 16.108
33. 0-Coleby Frye/Dover, PA 16.135
34. 5- Mike Blose/New Bethlehem, PA 16.138
35. 24M-Jeremy Miller/Gettysburg, PA 16.161
36. 67-Ken Schaltenbrand/Sarver, PA 16.198
37. 72-Michael Norris/Sarver, PA 16.392
38. 66-Todd Bachman/Natrona Heights, PA 16.540
39. 111-James Neiman/ Wiconisco, PA 19.312
40. 12d-Doug Drown/Wooster, OH (DQ – light)
Heat No. 1 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Covert, Lanigan, Clanton, Briggs, Lux, Hapka, Bland, Frye, Reddick, Norris
Heat No. 2 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Francis, Shaver, Eckert, C. Smith, Ferree, Robinson, Hedman, Blose, Garvin, Bachman
Heat No. 3 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Hubbard, Frank, B. Smith, Satterlee, Babb, D. Johnson, Miley, M. Johnson, Neiman, J. Miller
Heat No. 4 (10 laps – Top 4 Transfer): Richards, Horton, Fuller, King, Hess, Geisler, Lyle, Dodd, Coffey, Schaltenbrand
B-Main No. 1 (12 laps – Top 3 Transfer): Ferree, Lux, Robinson, Hedman, Frye, Hapka, Reddick, Bland, Norris, Garvin Jr., Bachman (DNS) Blose
B-Main No. 2 Line-Up (To be run on June 25):
Row 1: Babb/Hess
Row 2: D. Johnson/Geisler
Row 3: Miley/Lyle
Row 4: M. Johnson/Drown
Row 5: J. Miller/Coffey
Row 6: Neiman/Schaltenbrand
LISTEN ONLINE: If fans can’t get to a track to see the World of Outlaws Late Model Series, they can experience the excitement of the nation’s premier tour live on DIRTvision.com through the DIRT Radio Network.
To listen to the free audio broadcasts, log on to www.dirtvision.com and click on the DIRT Radio Network logo.
Listeners will need Windows Media Player 9 or higher to listen to the DIRT Radio Network. For technical support or questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The World of Outlaws Late Model Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including Arizona Sport Shirts (Official Apparel Company), Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Crane Cams (Official Valvetrain), Hoosier Racing Tires (Official Racing Tires), Fusion Energy Boost (Official Energy Boost), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser) and VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors Champ Pans, Eibach Springs, Hoosier Tires, Integra Shocks, Jake’s Custom Golf Carts, Ohlins Shocks, Racing Electronics, Quarter Master and Wrisco Aluminum; Crane Cams Engine Builder’s Challenge participants Cornett Racing Engines, Custom Race Engines and Pro Power Racing Engines; and Chassis Builder Challenge participants Rocket Chassis and Team Zero by Bloomquist.